Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Woops... I knew I forgot something

As has been pointed out, I forgot to say in my last post what the Library could add as an RSS feed to its own site (I'll forget my own head next). As Natarsha stated, one of the best areas is that of new additions to the collection. Considering the amount that we receive in a day, it would probably make sense to break them up into a few basic subject areas. Like the news feeds, a couple of hundred new items landing in someone's reader every day will quickly become overwhelming. This should also include not just standard collection material, but original materials as well.
There are a range of items that could be added as feeds. Theoretically it could include everytime there is an update on the site. I think the most useful aspects would be news items such as changes to collection access, exhibitions, events at the library etc. Pretty much anything that is included in the monthly email sent to library users.
Also to be included could be a client-oriented message from the State Librarian, or any senior librarians regarding developments at the Library that would be useful for clients to know. Perhaps research tips from reference librarians, or hints for useful material that's relevant to what has been in the news recently.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

I didn't know we sent a monthly email to library users.... tell me more?

Mylee (PLS)

Hellene said...

Yep, the library sends an email every month to those on its email list. I think I receive it because I'm registered as an ordinary client as well as staff. It usually includes info on upcoming exhibitions and talks and the like.It just goes by the title of "'Month' @ the Library".